On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 09:31, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Andy Rabagliati wrote:
> > >  * IDE drives die around 10 concurrent users. Fast SCSI or FC drives are
> > >    manditory for a large number of concurrent users. The faster the better.
> >
> > Can anyone else comment on the disk requirements ?
> > Does more RAM help ?
> > What, exactly, is so great about SCSI ?
> > I /really/ don't want to have to go the SCSI route.
> >
>       trust us, the "grownups" - you very, very much *want* to go the
> SCSI route. There are reasons for higher prices - the disk electronics are
> way more advanced, the request queueing really works, the wide data path
> allows for *sustained* high throughput, the otpitmized head movement
> traslates into faster reads and writes and into longer hardware life. And,
> no, serial ata is *not* as good as scsi.
>       software raid - try harder, or go hardware raid with hot swappable
> drives (scsi, of course :-)
>       more ram helps big time - ram is good, more ram is even gooder.

Andy, I'm with Julius on this.  You really want to go SCSI.

I've used both (still do, in fact).  My office server has three
terminals and uses IDE drives, but I use SCSI at any client that will
have more than five users.  10 concurrent users is a good rule of thumb.

--
David Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Little Bald Consulting, LLC