Otherwise I'd put a ltsp (/opt/ltsp/i386) install on the HD (150 odd Mb) and
grub/lilo from that when needed.

Eh, Oh ok kinda didn't follow what you meant there but now I got it. That's not a bad idea, kinda like a Claytons diskless workstation. Doesn't really boot from the network but is still configured to xdmcp from the server, cool idea think I might give that a try.

Cheers.

P.