Matt,

You've got 2 problems.

1)  cannot write to remote file handle.  This indicates that syslogd
    on your server hasn't been configured to accept remote connections.
    You just need to configure it for that.  Look at
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslogd and see how to add a '-r' to the syslogd
    command.

    Other than the error message, it is harmless, and it not causing
    any other problems.

2)  The GLIBC error indicates a glibc version mis-match problem.  Have
    you been copying programs from your server into the LTSP tree ?
    I'm guessing you have, and that is causing the mismatch problem.
    In fact, I'd bet real money that has happened, becuase xinit doesn't
    exist as part of LTSP-3.

    It does, however, exist in LTSP-4, so I suggest you install LTSP-4
    to get the xinit program.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]