Quoting Brian Payst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> It sees the root of your problem is it is unable to load a window
> manager. You might try using .xsession instead of .xinitrc . In the
> user's home directory, create .xsession. Here's a working example from
> my set-up:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # This is the $HOME/.xsession file for the kiosk user.
>
> xset s off &
> /usr/local/bin/icewm &

ok, thanks a lot. This helped me a step further. Now iceWM is at least tried,
but in ~/.xsession-errors I find now:
   IceWM: using /home/u1/.icewm for private configuration files
   Xlib: connection to "ws008.ltsp:0.0" refused by server
   Xlib: No protocol specified

   xset:  unable to open display "ws008.ltsp:0"
   Xlib: connection to "ws008.ltsp:0.0" refused by server
   Xlib: No protocol specified

I have already typed xhost + on the Terminalserver - no difference.

Thankfull for any furher help, Ingo.