Ingo,
  When the log-in fails, does it create a .xsesson-errors file in the
user's $HOME? May help you figure out what is going on.

  I jhave run into login "loops" like this caused by permissions - i.e.
the user doesn't own their $HOME or .xsession file.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.