On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 11:12, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri,  2 Apr 2004 15:24:58 +0200, Ingo Lantschner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Well, I changed now to the latest stable version from icewm.org - no
> > change, still no successfull login.
>
> ok, now we have somehow a progress: I removed the & after icewm and now
> the login works, I get an icewm window and can work on it. To be clear,
> here is the working xsession:
>
> ~/.xsession
>     #!/bin/sh
>     /usr/bin/icewm
>
> Lesson learned: If iceWM ist started directly from xdm, and no GNOME and
> gdm is installed, do NOT use this ampersand (&) after calling icewm.

Ingo,
the Xsession script has to stay running the whole time your X session is
running; when the script exits, X will shut down and end your session.
With the &, you were starting icewm as a background process, then your
session would end.  How many copies of icewm are running right now
(possibly one for every time you tested this).

Run 'ps -aef|grep icewm' and kill all of them, then sign back in.  Is
Icewm still using 99%CPU?
--
David Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Little Bald Consulting, LLC