On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 07:29, Chris Berry wrote:
> How much do you think disk speed affects the latency, and is it worth it
> to use 15k rpm scsi disks instead of 10k rpm.  Will we notice serious
> speed loss using IDE for 2 or 3 clients, or only when we start loading
> up more?
I am running one system on IDE one on SATA and more on SCSI. Always with
more clients coming in (beyond 10+ concurrent) latency starts becoming
apparent and irritating as more clients become concurrent.
Two systems that are on SCSI today I used RAID0 on two IDE's to solve
part of the problem and although there was improvement in read / writes
as shown by hdparm it was still not good enough. SATA is much better but
no where near SCSI.
Lot of discussions on this can be dug up in archives of the list. As far
as two three clients as proof of concept the current hardware is okay.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux