Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
Even with solid server hw, hotplugable hw RAID disks, there's always the
possibility of some part breaking. Users shouldn't need anymore then
switching their tc off and on again to boot from the second server.

Problem remaining, how to keep /home in sync. One way would be a
dedicated link via crossover and using rsync from cron to keep files the
same. Might need some tweaking, if you need to sync in both directions,
case you got for one or another reason, thin clients on both systems at
the same time.

How about a custom made PAM-module, which automagically copies the users home to the second server each time the user ends his session? Would fit bot

Good idea, unfortunately, users never log out...

situations. Also, I think rsync can be configured not to overwrite never files on a target machine, so I think rsync in cron could do the job quite well in both directions.

Sure, but I thought of the problem to sync in both directions, if you have for
one or another reason users on both systems, like you need to restart dhcpd on
one system when unluckily just at this moment some tc boots and is likely to end
up on the other server.

Now while looking around, found this article, describing two-way sync, which seems to be just what I want.;)

http://www.linuxbusinessweek.com/story/32704.htm

Thx for getting me going

Michael Heiming