On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Marcelo Franklin da Silva wrote:

> Hi
>     I've tried to do something like this, but no way. You may create a
> profile for each user.
>
> Regards

*** Actually there is a way - we're doing it with our users. I have a very
simple script that I'll share. I'll leave it to the reader to adapt it to
his/her situation but if you want to just try it out do this.

1. First Install A full Copy of OpenOffice 1.1.1 (the latest version).
Install it to /usr/OpenOffice.org1.1.1-en (use the -net switch ie:
setup -net)

2. Now install it again for a new user as you normally have to do
(minimum install). We will use this user as a template. Install it in the
users home directory as OpenOffice.org1.1.1-en.

3. Go to the template user folder (where you should see the
OpenOffice.org1.1.1-en directory). Within that folder delete everything
EXCEPT for "user" and "soffice".

4. Tar the OpenOffice.org1.1.1-en template directory.
ie:
  cd <template users home directory>
  tar -cjvf OpenOffice111-skel-en.tar.bz2 OpenOffice.org1.1.1-en

5. Take that tar file and place it in /usr/ltsp/defaults (make the
directory ie: mkdir -p /usr/ltsp/defaults)

6. Create a script called startoffice. Place it in /usr/bin and make sure
everyone can run it. ie: chmod 755 /usr/bin/startoffice.  Here is the
script:

#! /bin/bash

function copyOffice()
{
        echo "[Versions]">$HOME/.sversionrc

        echo "OpenOffice.org 1.1.1=file:///$HOME/OpenOffice.org1.1.1-$ver">>.sversionrc

        echo "OpenOffice.org 1.1.1=file:///$HOME/OpenOffice.org1.1.1-$ver">>.sversionrc

        if [ ! -e $HOME/OpenOffice.org1.1.1-$ver ]; then

                cd $HOME
                tar -xjf /usr/ltsp/defaults/OpenOffice111-skel-$ver.tar.bz2

        fi

        /usr/OpenOffice.org1.1.1-$ver/program/soffice $2

}

cd $HOME

case "$1" in
        french)
                ver=fr
                copyOffice
        ;;
        english)
                ver=en
                copyOffice
        ;;

esac

Now you run Open Office like this:

startoffice english

If the user has not gone through the install process this script UNTAR's
the bare minimum that Open Office needs in that users home directory
before launching Open Office. The result is you no longer need to install
OO for every new user. The script above is self-explanatory and I'll leave
it to the reader to tailor to taste ...