> I am further confused by whether ltsp is the os by itself or whether it
> runs on a machine with an existing distro of Linux.

I believe you said your were a newbie...where to start...

It is a simple question with a complicated answer - yes.

1) LTSP is simply (with apologies to Jim) a collection of files that are
installed on an existing Linux distribution (k12ltsp ships with it as
part of the distribution).

2) It is also the os.  That is, the os for the client is the ltsp linux
kernel that is downloaded via trivial file transfer protocol (tftp).
Once it starts, it actually changes its root partition (think C: in
windows) to a directory on the server.

So when you install ltsp on a linux server it creates the clients root
partition (think c:) in the opt directory on the server.  Then you
install the kernel in the tftpboot directory.

So yes, it is the os and it is simply something that is installed on the
server.

I suspect that that was less than clear so ask more questions.  Once you
grasp the simple beauty of LTSP you will be awed.  Once you see it in
action you will wonder why more people aren't using it. ;-)

Tim