Am Freitag, 15. Oktober 2004 19:29 schrieb Edilmar:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new in LTSP.
>
> Then, I downloaded and installed v. 4.1.
> All installation worked fine in my Fedora 2 kernel 2.6.5.
> I tried to look for FAQ but the link is broken:
> http://faq.ltsp.org/
> Then, I look at http://www.ltsp.org/ltsp-4.1.html,
> but I didn't find answers for my questions.
>
> My first doubt is:
>
> 1) isn't there a service/daemon of LTSP? I didn't find
> anything like "/etc/rc.d/init.d/ltspd start" or about
> running into inetd/xinetd, and I thought there wasn't
> a command to start LTSP into server machine. After all
> installation, running ltspcfg, generate lts.conf, I
> didn't know if the service was running or if it is
> started by a call to gdm, I'm very doubt with this.

On the server side, LTSP relies on different services running: gdm,
dhcp-server, tftp-server, nfs-server (basically). There's nothing as a "ltsp
daemon".

> 2) suppose the server is running, I don't know how,
> but lets suppose... I didn't find a Windows Client
> for LTSP freeware, isn't there? I downloaded the
> X-Win32 demo, that runs for 30 minutes. Then, it
> opens a connection to the server, but with all
> window gray, no buttons, no shell, mouse moves but
> mouse clicks (left/right) don't work. Then, I tried
> to change lst.conf to change "startx" by "gnome-session"
> but the same behavior occurs.

The point in ltsp is that the client software is a Linux which is booted
disklessly - in case you want a "terminal session" (speaking microsoft
concepts) you could try the cygwin package (cygwin.com) that is free and
comes with an xserver (which needs to be called with    X -query
ip.address.of.server   ) - this does only involve gdm setup on the server
then, and not anything of the LTSP stuff.

> 3) Does Windows Clients for Windows TS (2000/NT4) work
> with LTSP? Is the LTSP port 3389 like WTS?

X protocol is different from Microsoft's RemoteDesktopProtocol. Try cygwin.

> 4) I'd like to do the following idea: when the user types
> the user/password into Linux login window, I have to
> run a graphical application automatically, with database
> access, printing reports, etc. Then, when the user goes
> out from the application, the terminal must be closed.
> Is this possible with LTSP?

Yes. But it's no matter of configuring LTSP, but getting gdm setup to do that
(ior whichever login manager you use). There's people around here that can
help you with that, but before doing so you should sort out what you want -
for example, machines running windows that just "open a window to the linux
server" (which is not an LTSP thing, mainly) or boxes not running any
Microshit software, booting off the network etc. www.ltsp.org has a
documentation section that should help you understanding the concepts. No
matter what you prefer there's surely people there that can help you with
configuring your display manager, which seems to be your main goal.

Regards,
Anselm