On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:14:54PM +0100, Richard Bos wrote:
> Pupils should learn that a computer is to be shutdown nicely before it is
> powered down, isn't it?  Other wise they are going to power down all kind of
> OSes while they are still running.

If the Pupil in question is a "computer student" then YES

If the Pupil in question is a "student using a computer" then NO

Most of the computers we use everyday, we turn off by simply slapping
the power switch off.  We treat them as appliances and that is really
what they should behave as for general use, including when being used
as a "teaching appliance" or "Learning appliance".

(Examples:, car, tv, stereo, PDA, cellphone etc..)

All my Linux boxes are setup to run shutdown when the poweroff switch
is pressed or when Ctrl-Alt-Delete is pressed.

For C-A-D this is setup in /etc/inittab :
# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

NOTE: -r = reboot, use -h for halting

I'm not sure where the "poweroff switch" trap gets configured but it
is using either
/sbin/shutdown -h now
or
init 0

(Clearly this only works on hardware where the poweroff switch is a
software controlled relay, (aka "soft switch"), rather than a true power
switch, but most PC's shipped for at least the last 8 years have relays
and not switches.)

Given that in most cases the students in question are not studying
computers, we should probably try to have the computers act as much like
appliances as possible.  This means, for any Thin client hardware which
has a "soft switch" they should be configured to run their own shutdown
process when "powered off".

--
http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoranews.org