On Wednesday 10 August 2005 19:49, you wrote:

> Joe
> this seemed like a good a good idea to us, but was a diaster.
> Now everybody gets an X login
> The telnet-folk get an xterm without a window manager
> The desktop-folk get a desktop.
>
> It's now trivial to autologin, swap desktops and terminal sessions, do
> screen savers. The entire admin is miles easier this way.
>  Saddly I actually need them to have a command line login in some way and a
> terminal emulator won't allow the function keys to perform properly. Is
> that how yours is set up?  It sounds as if your terminal people are just
> using a terminal emulator.  is that hte case? If not, then how do they log
> into startx and not get a graphical desktop environment?

Our function keys just work, I've not fiddled for a while, but it was trivial
(there are even some sequences to turn the keys on for HP terms, where they
are normally off)

To run an xterm

.xsession (chmod +x !)
xterm -geometry blah

To run an icewm with an xterm and background

.xsession
icewmbg &
xterm -geometry bla &
icewm

To run kde
.xsession
startkde

James

BTW your mail server is FOOBAR:
The original message was received at Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:23:50 +0800
from tigger.ws [202.71.175.58] (may be forged)

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    (reason: 550 202.71.175.58 Blocked
http://www.netwalk.com/spam/blacklist.html)

... while talking to smtp.netwalk.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 202.71.175.58 Blocked http://www.netwalk.com/spam/blacklist.html
550 5.1.1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... User unknown
<<< 503 RCPT first