On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, John Nicholls wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I am doing some research on audio and thin clients.
>
> Personally I have only tried using thin client audio over a wireless
> link playing mp3 files using xmms and nas. The audio tended to break up
> at times which I assumed was due to the wireless link. I have a few
> questions...
>
> (1) Is anybody out there successfully playing music or whatever at the
> thin client end using NAS?

I've done used NAS and ESD.  Strangely, I've found some audio chipsets
work great with NAS, and sound horrible with ESD, while for some other
chipsets, the reverse is true.  I really don't know enough about either
to guess why that is the case.

> (2) What type of load does this put on the network?

Haven't measured it, so no comment.

> (3) How many thin clients have you tested playing audio simultaneously?

Only a couple. Not enough to saturate the network.

> I don't miss audio as I enjoy the silence, if I want music I turn on the
> radio, is audio worth bothering with for 99% of users anyway?

I'm the same way. If I want to hear music, I turn on the radio.  But,
there's plenty of times I'd like to listen to a program from NPR, and I
missed the radio broadcast, so It's nice to go to the NPR website and
play it over the internet.  usually for that, I just use my laptop
running Ubuntu.

Some times of users really need audio.  Take schools, especially the
younger kids that want to play games or educational software.  having
sound is pretty nice.

My customers are business oriented, and they really have no need for
audio on the client.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]