Am Montag, den 20.03.2006, 06:55 -0500 schrieb Susan G. Kleinmann:
> I have installed ltsp-server-standalone, version 0.82debian2 on
> a machine running Linux 2.6.15.  I then used ltsp-build-client to build
> a client system suitable for hosting thin clients.  I have succeeded in
> getting two thin clients (both VIA MII 6000 diskless computers) to boot
> using this system.  The problem is, this only works once!!!
>
> Details:
> 1.  Client system #1 is powered up, finds the DHCP server, gets a boot image,
>     boots up, gets an X-window screen saying skolelinux with a
>     username/password dialog.  I knew I hadn't configured any users yet,
>     so I clicked on the button on the lower left, which powered down the
>     thin client.
> 2.  Client system #1 is again powered up, but this time, never does a DHCP
>     rendezvous at all, just aborts the boot with the message:
>     PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
>
> I did the same thing with the second thin client, and got exactly the same
> result as the first.

You wrote you clicked on the button on the left to power off the
terminal. Ehmm... I was not aware of the login screen having any option
to shutdown the terminal, but rather the server. Which would of course
explain why the clients cannot boot any more, after clicking on that
button. The server should just shutdown, as if you did the same click
right on the server machine.

You should configure your login manager (gdm with gdmconfig, or kdm
through the KDE control center, or in the appropriate configuration
files) to not allow system shutdown from remote computers or
non-root-users. And, please, just turn off the terminals with their
power button, if they have any, not via software. This is exactly how it
is meant, however long year of windows-training might have spoilt the
idea of just turning off the machine sitting on your desk.

Regards
Anselm