On 20 March 2006 at 13:11, Anselm Martin Hoffmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 20.03.2006, 06:55 -0500 schrieb Susan G. Kleinmann:
> > I have installed ltsp-server-standalone, version 0.82debian2 on
> > a machine running Linux 2.6.15.  I then used ltsp-build-client to build
> > a client system suitable for hosting thin clients.  I have succeeded in
> > getting two thin clients (both VIA MII 6000 diskless computers) to boot
> > using this system.  The problem is, this only works once!!!

> You wrote you clicked on the button on the left to power off the
> terminal. Ehmm... I was not aware of the login screen having any option
> to shutdown the terminal, but rather the server. Which would of course
> explain why the clients cannot boot any more, after clicking on that
> button. The server should just shutdown, as if you did the same click
> right on the server machine.

The server certainly didn't shut down; the sequence was:
a) boot the 1st thin client; click the lower-left button (which had no
   label -- I actually didn't know what to expect).
b) power-up 1st thin client again, but now it no longer boots.
c) boot the 2nd thin client.  **So the server must have still been working
   at this point.**  Then, just to see if my experience with the 1st one
   was a freaky problem with its hardware, I again clicked on the lower-left
   button, which powered down the 2nd thin client.
d) power up the 2nd thin client, and now it no longer boots either.

The server has remained alive; I have booted other machines using its
DHCP and TFTP services since the episode with the 2 thin clients.

> You should configure your login manager (gdm with gdmconfig, or kdm
> through the KDE control center, or in the appropriate configuration
> files) to not allow system shutdown from remote computers or
> non-root-users. And, please, just turn off the terminals with their
> power button, if they have any, not via software.
This might make a future thin-client session more secure, but right now I'm
asking for some help trying to get 2 thin clients to boot at all.

Susan