Am Montag, den 20.03.2006, 07:37 -0500 schrieb Susan G. Kleinmann:
> On 20 March 2006 at 13:11, Anselm Martin Hoffmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 20.03.2006, 06:55 -0500 schrieb Susan G. Kleinmann:
> > > I have installed ltsp-server-standalone, version 0.82debian2 on
> > > a machine running Linux 2.6.15.  I then used ltsp-build-client to build
> > > a client system suitable for hosting thin clients.  I have succeeded in
> > > getting two thin clients (both VIA MII 6000 diskless computers) to boot
> > > using this system.  The problem is, this only works once!!!
>
> > You wrote you clicked on the button on the left to power off the
> > terminal. Ehmm... I was not aware of the login screen having any option
> > to shutdown the terminal, but rather the server. Which would of course
> > explain why the clients cannot boot any more, after clicking on that
> > button. The server should just shutdown, as if you did the same click
> > right on the server machine.
>
> The server certainly didn't shut down; the sequence was:
> a) boot the 1st thin client; click the lower-left button (which had no
>    label -- I actually didn't know what to expect).
> b) power-up 1st thin client again, but now it no longer boots.
> c) boot the 2nd thin client.  **So the server must have still been working
>    at this point.**  Then, just to see if my experience with the 1st one
>    was a freaky problem with its hardware, I again clicked on the lower-left
>    button, which powered down the 2nd thin client.
> d) power up the 2nd thin client, and now it no longer boots either.
>
> The server has remained alive; I have booted other machines using its
> DHCP and TFTP services since the episode with the 2 thin clients.
>
> > You should configure your login manager (gdm with gdmconfig, or kdm
> > through the KDE control center, or in the appropriate configuration
> > files) to not allow system shutdown from remote computers or
> > non-root-users. And, please, just turn off the terminals with their
> > power button, if they have any, not via software.
> This might make a future thin-client session more secure, but right now I'm
> asking for some help trying to get 2 thin clients to boot at all.

OK, I don't know about any non-labelled buttons, but I'm most probably
using a completely different set of surrounding software. Which login
manager is that (kdm, gdm, xdm, wdm, ...)?

For clients not booting, you could try to find out what happens when the
client machines are powered up. This should make several DHCP messages
appear in your system log file, provided it runs properly here. Could
you check wether anything like "DHCPDISCOVER" appears
in /var/log/syslog, or /var/log/messages, or /var/log/daemon.log, when
booting up the terminal? Just in case, is there any difference in wether
the boot succeeds or not? You might have to reboot the server for
booting to work again, I'd expect.

Can you state which exact Linux distribution you use, and which dhcpd
version, along with the /etc/dhcpd.conf
(or /etc/dhcp3-server/dhcpd.conf)?

Regards
Anselm