Dear Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

> I would go with the server version, and then install the
> 'ubuntu-desktop' package which should take care of getting all the stuff
> you need for workstation users. You could alternatively install the
> 'kubuntu-desktop' to get KDE or 'xubuntu-desktop' to get xfce.

This is *exactly* what I mean by having to learn new names for things in
Ubuntu.  Is there a glossary someplace, to translate the names they use?  Or
are there in actuality, not that many to deal with?

I was very surprised to learn that you use Ubuntu.  I had not really taken
it that seriously, and have been waiting to see if it was going to have any
kind of longevity, or whether it was going to be just another distro that
comes in with a splash, and then just kind of disappears into oblivion; or
gets bought out by some mammoth company that turns around and ruins it.  (I
hope that doesn't happen with the Novell/SuSE buyout.)

With your experience with the Ubuntu developers, do you have the impression
that it will be around for while?  Do you have any insights about this?  Or
should I rather ask, what is your impression of Ubuntu, having used it for a
while?  (If you don't have time, or would rather not answer that, I
understand.)

I'm probably not going to be able to look at Ubuntu for a month or two.  I
have a couple of Delphi applications I have to modify to run under wine for
this LTSP transition.  One is holding up our transition, the other can
follow shortly thereafter.  I think we'll probably end up buying or building
a new server within the next six or eight months to replace our main server,
so if we do switch to Ubuntu, it would most likely be then.  It depends on
how our server works out with more users using it under LTSP.

Also, I apologize for sending a couple of emails to you that were intended
to go to the list.  Hitting the "Reply" button makes it go to the original
sender, not to the list.  I have to do a better job of remembering that.

Thank you again for all of your help with LTSP.  Your work and help with
LTSP is very much appreciated.

With kind regards,

Peter, hieromonk

----