Hi Peter,

Father Peter wrote:
> SuSE is definitely nice.  It rapidly became my favorite distribution, and
> has held that pretty firmly.  I do have some concerns, though, that given
> enough time, Novell might just mess it up beyond all recognition.  So I
> question its long-term viability.  Does anyone else share that concern?

not since it went open, no. I did have concerns when there was talk
about giving KDE just a back seat position to Gnome, but they seem to be
steady about supporting both equally well, which is just how i like it.

> It's nice to hear the recommendations about Ubuntu.  I think it would have
> to be pretty impressive to get me to dump SuSE at this point in our project,
> but it might at least give us another option if SuSE does crumble.

Some general things I've picked up about Ubuntu:
- It seems to play a rather important role in South Africa, not sure how
important. One place for hints is schooltool.org, which I'm keeping an
eye on for many reasons.
- I've heard from old pupils of mine, that it's enjoying a rather
popular status amongst many young Swedes. Since they solve their
problems via other communication channels and fora than the
"established" people and organizations, they go more or less completely
below the radar, which results in bewilderment amongst those at the high
Swedish Ubuntu download rates. A good sign :).

BR,
Gudmund