We're running Suse 10.0 with LTSP 4.2 using esd for sound.  I do not have a
sound card on the server.  I have sound working on the clients for things
like mplayer and gnome.

I can not get a lot of the multimedia applications to work, it seems,
because they only want to use alsa or oss, and do not recognize a sound
device.  I especially would like to get Skype and some music sequencer like
Rosegarden or NoteEdit to work.

Does anyone know of a music sequencer (where you can write, play and print
sheet music) that supports esd?  I haven't been able to find one.

Is there some way that I can run these programs so they will redirect sound
to esd (or something) so they will give sound on the client?

Would it help -- or hurt -- if I put a sound card in our server so alsa at
least can find a sound card?  It seems to me that this really is not going
to help.  I have a sound card in a test server, and although Skype, for
instance, gives sound on the server, it doesn't on the client.

Is there some way to set up local sound without having to go through all of
the hassles of trying to build some of these programs to run as local apps?
Skype, for instance, is not open source....

Has anyone gotten Skype to work on the clients?

I would really appreciate some general advice about what direction I should
take towards getting some of these programs to run -- or whether I should
just give up and not even bother trying to get them to work.  I would rather
not waste my time fighting with this any longer if these programs are just
not going to work no matter what I do.  But if there is something that I can
do that I'm just missing, I'd really appreciate it if some one (or more) of
you could point me in the right direction.

And, by the way, I think you are all terrific people.  It's a joy to read
this list.  I can't help very often; but you all sound like really great
people.  The way you all help each other is really nice, and some of the
things you are doing with LTSP is very impressive.  I learn a lot just from
watching this list.

I hope you can help with a little advice.

With very kind regards,

Peter, hieromonk

----
Dormition Skete