On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:29:16 -0600
"Hieromonk Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We're running Suse 10.0 with LTSP 4.2 using esd for sound.  I do not
> have a  sound card on the server.  I have sound working on the clients
> for things  like mplayer and gnome.
>
> I can not get a lot of the multimedia applications to work, it seems,
> because they only want to use alsa or oss, and do not recognize a
> sound  device.  I especially would like to get Skype and some music
> sequencer like  Rosegarden or NoteEdit to work.
>
> Does anyone know of a music sequencer (where you can write, play and
> print  sheet music) that supports esd?  I haven't been able to find
> one.
>
> Is there some way that I can run these programs so they will redirect
> sound  to esd (or something) so they will give sound on the client?
>
> Would it help -- or hurt -- if I put a sound card in our server so
> alsa at  least can find a sound card?  It seems to me that this really
> is not going  to help.  I have a sound card in a test server, and
> although Skype, for  instance, gives sound on the server, it doesn't
> on the client.
>
> Is there some way to set up local sound without having to go through
> all of  the hassles of trying to build some of these programs to run
> as local apps?  Skype, for instance, is not open source....
>
> Has anyone gotten Skype to work on the clients?
>
> I would really appreciate some general advice about what direction I
> should  take towards getting some of these programs to run -- or
> whether I should  just give up and not even bother trying to get them
> to work.  I would rather  not waste my time fighting with this any
> longer if these programs are just  not going to work no matter what I
> do.  But if there is something that I can  do that I'm just missing,
> I'd really appreciate it if some one (or more) of  you could point me
> in the right direction.
>
> And, by the way, I think you are all terrific people.  It's a joy to
> read  this list.  I can't help very often; but you all sound like
> really great  people.  The way you all help each other is really nice,
> and some of the  things you are doing with LTSP is very impressive.  I
> learn a lot just from  watching this list.
>
> I hope you can help with a little advice.
>
> With very kind regards,
>
> Peter, hieromonk

For all you questions about Skype, I know there is an article (Linux
Journal maybe) that discusses using LTSP in a call center setting.  If I
remember it was Skype and KDE that they used.

As for some of the others, I use a small script to wrap a lot of my kids
games.  I use LTSP at home, and the server is also my desktop machine
(so sometimes the kids will log in while sitting at the server instead
of just at a client).

Here is one of them:

  $ cat /usr/local/esd-bin/frozen-bubble

  #!/bin/sh
  if [ "$DISPLAY" != ":0.0" ]; then
     echo "running $0 with esd wrapper."
     exec esddsp /usr/games/frozen-bubble
  else
     echo "running $0 without a wrapper."
     exec /usr/games/frozen-bubble
  fi
  echo "end esd wrapper script"

If your users do not need the terminal, then you can just put a bunch of
scripts into you own directory, then add that directory to the very
front of the users $PATH.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org

 Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem
 your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad
 company.        - George Washington, Rules of Civility