On Sunday 19 November 2006 00:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> But the other two. I don't know if I understood you wrong but in my opinion
> the problem is, that a terminalsystem is logically only one pc. And from
> the terminal you haven't got access to the "real" system which ultimatly
> spools the printer. So if you set an environment variable, or some kernel
> options on the terminal, it won't affect the printing process on the
> server, because he even don't asks the terminal for anything.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong (most likely I'm wrong) :) and thanks for
> your help

There are two systems and they are loosely coupled:

There are machines that want to print something. They may be clients, whole
machines, winders machines etc etc

The are 'machines' that print stuff. They may be winders machines, servers,
clients, stand-alone printers.

Finally you connect a want-to-print-machine to a printer-machine using a
technique that is some what dependant on the implementation ie cups

Now a thin-client is not (generally) a logical pc. It is a (one of many)
keyboard and display on the server machine.
It may also act as a printer-machine that may or may not be related to the
server on which you are working using the want-to-print-machine to
printer-machine association and techniques.

Now just about any bizare setup is possible, but generally a single spooler
accessed by many want-to-print-machines makes sense. The spooler handles the
details of which printer-machines to use, how and when.

Now your printing issues boil down to which want-to-print-machines using the
spooler access which printer-machines.

James