Hi Ho,

just a small progress message in between ...

> > I didn't succeed with the build on the Netstation itself. However, I am
> > currently cross-compiling the 2.4.29. - Then I'll try compressed images
> > as well.

I now got a working 2.4.34 kernel! - Isn't that great?
However, I'm still in the progress getting it to boot in the ltsp
nfs-root (see below).

I took crosstool from kegel.com and build a cross-compiling toolchain
for powerpc-603 with gcc-2.95-3 and glibc-2.2.5 - That was pretty easy,
just follow the Quickstart instructions. Somewher I picked up, that it
has to bee gcc-2.95 for some reason (This was important ...)

Then I put the cross-tool bin path into $PATH
PATH=$PATH:/some/path/to/crosstool/gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.2.5/powerpc-603-linux-gnu/bin

And defined an alias:
alias pmake='make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-603-linux-gnu-'

Then I did:
$ wget http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.34.tar.bz2
$ wget
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/networkstation/patch-2.4.29-ns1000-20050209
$ tar xjf linux-2.4.34.tar.bz2
$ cp -av patch-2.4.29-ns1000-20050209 patch-2.4.34-ns1000-20050209

Did a search and replace on patch-2.4.34-ns1000-20050209 to change
2.4.29 to 2.4.34 ...

$ patch -p0 < patch-2.4.34-ns1000-20050209
$ cd linux-2.4.34
$ wget http://networkstation.aytolacoruna.es/config
$ mv config .config
$ pmake oldconfig               # (and hit enter a few times)
$ pmake menuconfig              # this is vital. The .config saved after
                                # pmake oldconfig did not work properly.
                                # just save the config from here ...
$ pmake dep
$ pmake bzImage

... and then I got in arch/ppc/boot/images a brandnew kernel.1000

> > For reasons I don't understand I cannot loopmount the
> > initrd-ppc-2.4.22-ltsp-1 from your archives. I wanted to throw out all
> > the modules to get it smaller, since the size of the netboot-image the
> > NS1000 accepts seems somehow limited.

The size doesn't appear to be the major problem ... rather the format.
That's why there is the kernel.1000 binary after the compiling. And
that's why I cant just use mkelf-linux to pack the kernel and the
initrd.

It appears that there was some ancient special tool for that around,
that i currently cannot get hold of - but I'm in touch with the guys
from networkstation.sf.net and hope to tackle this challenge also, soon.

By the way, what is an initrd good for, if I don't need it to load
modules right after boot?

Can't I make things way easier, if I take the LTSP /linuxrc by jam and
put it into my nfsroot? - Looking at the hardware provided in the
NS1000, a monolithic kernel should suffice always, even if all possible
hardware support is compiled in.

Is it enough, to copy the /linuxrc an pass the "nfsroot=/some/place
init=/linuxrc" parameters to the cmdline? - That would be easy.

-> Some hints if this is feasible and how to do it would be greatly
appreciated.

@chuck: What ltsp-version is your ppc-nfs-root "ltsp-ppc.tar.gz" as part
of the "apple.tar.gz"? A plain ltsp-4.2-ppc? Did you patch it in some
ways?

I just want to make sure, that when I get my LTSP-Netstation kernel pack
up and running, I am compatible to the "rest" to contribute it back to
the project, so that others may use it, if they wish.

And I'm sure they will: Under sarge I have already a remote-X up with
1152x764x16 resolution and scroll mouse - Two of the major
impossibilities with the IBM TCM2.1 ... And this completely fanless ...
It also looks that it is possible to use the sound on board, but I have
not looked into that yet ...

Thanks

Stefan.

--
/ Stefan Ulrich Hegner aka "Hegi" - Loehne/ Westfalen - Germany \
| [EMAIL PROTECTED], my Cyberhome http://www.hegner-web.de|