On Sunday 11 March 2007 05:09, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> > To clarify this issue:
> >
> > Thin clients have all the features of the server desktop just about
> > without restriction. (fiddles: local devices, sound)
> > Thin clients work well with 32M RAM and are the 'keyboard and display' on
> > the server
> > BUT *some* applications, running on your server (where they are called
> > the client application) use local(thin client) memory for graphics stuff
> > (Called X-server memory) eg Firefox
> >
> > Most of your questions are not relevant to thin-clients.
> > The bottom line is 'how much ram on the thin client' to never crash the
> > client: (I do not use swap) (so for me)
> > 128M - almost never has a problem
> > 256M - never had a problem
> > 512M - smallest ram that I can purchase today
> >
> > In terms of CPU I notice, but its not bad, the ebox-2300 ($85, 128M and
> > 200MHz)
> > My via 633MHz clients are just like the desktop on the server (256M)
>
> So these clients are running (just to make sure I understand) nothing
> but the kernel, minimal libraries, X, and any devices you care to set
> up?  Or are they running even less -- a built-in X?

Ummm not really, but that's not of interest <smile>
my thin clients are normal ltsp clients (MB, CPU, RAM, LAN, Mouse, KBD,
Display)

> I hate to have to ask, but for me over the decades a "thin client" has
> been everything from a short-lived custom PC that networked back to a
> host PC on a network nobody has ever heard of before or since (mid 80's)
> through a variety of Sun SLC and ELC diskless systems (that ran a fully
> copy of the OS, albeit booted diskless) through a range of linux boxes
> booted diskless the hard way, pre-PXE.  A 512 MB client damn well ought
> to be able to just boot and run the entire OS locally and even do it
> nearly transparently and extremely fast.
>
> There has over the years also been forever the question of just where
> the apps get run -- with X remotely (which even with thick clients and X
> servers can have mediocre performance on a heavily burdened network or
> server) or locally (where they occupy what used to be a biggish chunk of
> memory.

LTSP can run local apps.
I think that's too hard. So I use skinny (small low power) hardware to run
apps at normal speed on the server.

> The neoware online docs do not help at all with this, and while I'm
> working my way through the ltsp docs, I haven't been able to figure out
> yet whether you can boot any terminal image you care to set up (it seems
> like you could, with ltsp or not) and e.g. mount /usr to become a simple
> "instant" diskless node.  That's why I was asking.  Are the terminals
> set up to be so thin (with LSTP in general) that one pretty much has
> a bare X server and a desktop, every thing running remote, or do they
> use their local CPUs for anything like an actual workstation boot into
> which one can login outside of X?

For most (of my) things thin clients AKA LTSP terminals are perfect.
LTSP is not <no flame bait> perfect when it comes to local devices ie usb  mem
sticks on the client (Scott et al have made great progress in this area)
and handles sound pretty poorly (promising future implementations)

So if the ltsp paradigsm works for you ltsp is a pretty good fit.
I've been told ltsp is hard, this-thinclient-or-that is easier. I've never
found anything even remotely interesting.

I do use some fat clients (full workstations, network boot) because of say
skype, google-earth, mythtv etc where ltsp does not fit. That is easiest for
me.
James