On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 17:23:45 -0500 (EST)
"Robert G. Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Things I (and maybe others) would like to know are:

My personal LTSP server that I just set up a couple of days ago consists of a
single Neoware Capio 616 terminal with a 17" LCD monitor currently running at
1280x1024 colour depth 16, a standard Logitech keyboard and a Genius Netmouse.
It's hooked through a 100BASE-TX router and ethernet switch (both cheap Dlinks)
and travels through a total of something between 150 and 200 feet from the
server to the terminal.

My server is actually my desktop computer, running Fedora Core 6 and LTSP 4.2.
This computer has 2GB of ram and a 3GHz Intel CPU.

Now that I have it set up right (hopefully) everything that I have tried so far
seems to run fine on the terminal with the exception of the GL screensavers
which error out with a message stating that GLX is not available.  I haven't
yet gotten around to finding out why.

Screen updates on the terminal are slower than they are on the local computer.
Not enough that it's a problem, but it's something that you notice if you walk
from the local machine to the terminal.

Frankly, I haven't used this terminal much so far.  I have had other things on
the go and haven't done much more with it than to just try this or that and
then walk away.  I would be in a better position to give you a report about how
it works in a few weeks after I've had more experience with using it.

The other LTSP installation that I manage currently has 5 Capio 616 terminals
on it with 19" monitors running at 1280x1024 colour depth 16 and standard
keyboards and mice.  The server there is a 3.2GHz Intel with 3gb of ram and it
currently runs Fedora Core 6 as well. It's a small printing and publishing
operation -- they do layouts and plate production as well as running a custom
multi-user database program that I wrote for them. The most heavily used
programs there are the database and Scribus, and the system is most heavily
loaded when they do the impositions and rips a few times a week using another
custom program that I wrote for them. Until I got these Capio terminals
running, they have been using old junker computers for terminals off of their
LTSP server.  This setup has been running for about 3 years with no real
problems or issues.  Up until a couple of months ago they had only 2GB of ram
in their server but they had to jack that up to accommodate a new scheme that I
had for the rip a while back. They also use el-cheapo Dlink routers and
switches from Staples.  Their furthest-away terminal from the server is about
40 feet.  That setup has been in use all day every day for years, as I said,
and it works great though as I don't actually use it myself I'm not in a
position to tell you about any "fine points".  There are also 4 remote workers
who log into that  application server using VNC-over-SSH to run the
applications.

I don't know what else to tell you about it.  If you have any specific
questions let me know.