On Saturday 10 March 2007 01:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> >> on't thank me -- we're getting a few neowares to prototype for a
> >> project that might involve installing 30-40 of them eventually.  You're
> >> breaking ground for me...:-)
> >
> > Then you will also be interested to know that now that I have ltspswapd
> > set up, I can use 1280x1024 at colour depth 16 on those terminals too.
> >  No problem with redraws or dropouts so far today at all.
>
> I know you said some of this elsewhere in the thread, but could you
> summarize in a single message?
>
> Things I (and maybe others) would like to know are:
>
>    Hardware layout -- DRAM capacity, CPU speed, network speed, anything
> else that seems relevant (monitor size/res, std keyboard or no, std
> mouse or no).
>
>    Memory layout of the running system.  It sounds like the systems are
> running "tight" on memory, which I'd expect for 256 MB systems but not,
> generally, for 512 MB systems.  So how is the memory being used?
> Resident kernel, obviously, some list of systems tasks I presume but not
> occupying a lot of space.  X is generally large and largely resident (as
> opposed to paged out).  A bunch of stuff associated with e.g. your
> window manager, large but mostly paged out.  Finally applications,
> ranging from 5-15 MB, but only 3-5 MB resident, except for stuff like
> ooffice, which on my system at least seems to be a real piggy at well
> over 200 MB VSZ, 70+ MB RSS when actually doing something.  Something
> like that?
[snip]

To clarify this issue:

Thin clients have all the features of the server desktop just about without
restriction. (fiddles: local devices, sound)
Thin clients work well with 32M RAM and are the 'keyboard and display' on the
server
BUT *some* applications, running on your server (where they are called the
client application) use local(thin client) memory for graphics stuff (Called
X-server memory) eg Firefox

Most of your questions are not relevant to thin-clients.
The bottom line is 'how much ram on the thin client' to never crash the
client: (I do not use swap) (so for me)
128M - almost never has a problem
256M - never had a problem
512M - smallest ram that I can purchase today

In terms of CPU I notice, but its not bad, the ebox-2300 ($85, 128M and
200MHz)
My via 633MHz clients are just like the desktop on the server (256M)

James