Jim McQuillan wrote:
> Jo wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> As I said, this version of the config file is because without all the
>> extra information it also doesn't work. So in despair I tried to change
>> whatever was suggested somewhere on the mailing list. It doesn't work
>> with all the lines pointing to PRINTER_0_TYPE. What worries me even more
>> is that it also doesn't work when I modprobe those modules manually. I
>> does detect the printer allright and it creates /dev/lp0 with the lp
>> module. Then I start the lp_server manually and I can telnet to port
>> 9100 all right, but no joy when trying to print. I don't see an error at
>> the level of CUPS either. I chose jetdirect and I entered the address
>> correctly as far as I can see.
>>

> When you telnet to the workstation, at port 9100, what happens?
>
> If you type characters, and press Ctrl-L, do they print on the printer?
>
> If so, then the LTSP setup is fine.

I get a local echo of the charachters I type, but when I type Ctrl-L,
all that appears is ^L. Nothing happens on the printer. Ctrl-J does put
the cursor on the next line (on screen).

>> Would going back to a 2.4 kernel help? Where can I still get this? Or
>>

> A 2.4 kernel won't work at all with LTSP-4.2.
>

>> should I Frankenstein the thing with a kernel from Ubuntu LTSP 5? How
>>

> An ubuntu kernel won't work either.
>

>> would I do that? What files do I copy and where do I put them? I suppose
>> somewhere under tftpboot and then point the dhcp config to them.
>>

> If you set SCREEN_01 = shell, can you echo something to '/dev/lp0' ?

That's what I did to troubleshoot the problem and to try to manually
load those modules and start lp_server. I didn't try to echo text to
/dev/lp0 though. I'll have to try that next time I'm there on site.

Many thanks,

Jo