Rudolf,
   I have set up timed LTSP systems in a number of public libraries for
4 or 5 years now.

   The system uses a mysql back end to track the time, number of
sessions per day, etc. and xscreensaver as the locking mechanism, with a
bunch of scripts that do the heavy lifting such as warnings, time
renewals, etc.

   Some problems:
      This isn't exactly what you are looking for. You probably want a
new session for each user whereas in the libraries, the same session is
used all day. Some modifications would be needed to log the student out
instead of just locking the session.

    There is also the problem of a student losing their work if they
ignore the warning messages, don't save their work and the system logs
them out.

    Everything is GPL'd but the documentation is virtually non-existent.

    If you are interested I can post everything on the Web and you can
have a whack at it. I'd be glad to help where I can.

Pete Billson
--
http://www.elbnet.com
ELB Internet Service, Inc.