On Saturday 30 June 2007 03:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I'm looking for help regarding time controlled logins to ltsp
> workstations. I have ltsp 4.2 with Fedora Core 6 installed,
> authentication is done through LDAP.
> This is for a proposed public access solution at one of our educational
> institutions, with about 8000 students. The plan is to start off with a
> 30 station solution and than expand at a later stage.
>
> What remains a big issue is that with these limited resources available,
> we would like to give as many students as possible access to a
> workstation per day.
> Which means that we need to limit the time these guys spend on a
> workstation to maximum 1 hour per day, they should not be able to login
> again for that day, inactivity logout, say after 10 min, etc
>
> I know there is no easy solution nor off the self solution to this, but
> could be done with some scripts. Now this is where the problem comes in.
> My scripting is not great, not even at entry level, but I know
> somethings could be done with linux through "last", finger, etc.
>
> I need you help, any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Guys
I'm neither a PAM fan or guru but without doubt this is comprehensivley
handled by PAM.
I also have no doubt that you would need to write your own module.

But a suitable module, using a database would work well and all the time and
effort channeled into scripting hacks would be available for ltsp for all
future needs of a similar nature (whereas the hacks stay as inconvenient
hacks)

James