On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 01:22:02PM -0500, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> Sherwood Botsford wrote:
> > Why are you reluctant to run ssh?
>
> The biggest problem with running sshd on the thin client is mainly
> a performance issue: if you've got 1ghz clients with goodly amount
> of ram, yeah, it's a great solution.

You bring a smile to my day  :-)

My main linux machine at home is a 400MHz PII (originally with 64M ram)
- OpenSSH places no noticeable load on it.  I have no doubt that
enabling all bells and whistles, as you say your users desire, would
slow it to a crawl, but OpenSSH would not be the problem.

If you want to try a lightweight SSH server, try dropbear - it's
available in Debian and presumably many other distros:
http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

"small memory footprint suitable for memory-constrained environments
- Dropbear can compile to a 110kB statically linked binary with uClibc
on x86 (only minimal options selected)"

Of course, I'm not saying that ssh is the right solution to your
problem, but it is a pretty lightweight, secure, and well understood way
of accessing your clients, and allows you to do damn near anything to
the client.

Other possible approaches:

Are you running iptables on your clients?  If so, I suspect you could
setup a port-knock type of rule that triggered an action.  I guess the
same thing could be done if you are running inetd.  (Note: both of these
suggestions are well outside my current expertise - they might require
incredibly messy kludginess - I'm mainly just suggesting that you might
be able to get leverage from something that is already running)

Karl.
--
http://mowson.org/karl