Martin Woolley schrieb:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 23:27, jam wrote:
>
>> Rolf why did you partition your disks eg /usr etc
>> because 'you can' is cute etc but you'll need to start again.
>>
>> In general don't partition your disks (in many pieces) unless you need
>> to, and if you need to you will understand how and why and what size
>> etc.
>>
>> This is what I do:
>>
>> /    10G             # big enough for all my fiddling
>> swap 1G              # never use it, but it is there for someday
>> /home        TheRest         # Can reinstall OS with ditching MyStuff
>
> Using the default paritioning scheme (ie minimal) is
> nonsense.  /opt, /usr/local and /home should each have a dedicated partition.
>
> Why? If you decide to reinstall, you wont lose your optional and locally
> developed software.  When I upgrade to the next release of the o/s I almost
> never follow the upgrade path, opting for a clean installation.  The whys of
> partitioning are explained at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/
> and http://www.wellho.net/solutions/general-why-partition-a-disc-drive.html
>
> Here is our partion table from one of our LTSP servers (we keep users home
> directories on a NFS machine) I consider this to be the bare minimum scheme.

> 7.6G   /
> 99M   /boot
> 2.0G  /swap
> 5G     /home
> 3.4G  /opt
> 3.4G  /usr/local
> 131G  /home/MAUD (NFS)
>
> You do not need to start again to introduce partitioning.  A tool such as
> gparted enables you to rejig you partition table, assuming you have enough
> free space.  Recently I had to increase the size of my boot partition to
> accomodate a kernel upgrade and gparted enabled me to rejig my entire table
> without resorting to a reinstall.

You got me all wrong, folks :-)

There is plenty of space left on this volume, so it shouldn't come to
this end if it didn't use this one directory (which is very small) for
making the image. Here was my question: is there a way to tell it to
make the image somewhere else? If not, I'll have to alter the
partitions' lengths, of course.