Thanks so much for the response.

I was hoping you could clarify some points for me:

On Feb 8, 2008 3:54 PM, AJ MacLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 08 February 2008 20:39:25 Ryan Churches wrote:
> > I have a client with a space and cable clutter problem.  He is adding
> > some terminals to run some Java-based software for his practice.  The
> > app is tested extensively in Linux, and I pointed out we could
> > theoretically save money using LTSP.
>
> I don't see any particular need for LTSP here... plain old X11 would be
> perfectly suitable I think?

I meant save money using LTSP vs Windows Terminal Services.

When you say 'plain old X11' do you mean running 'ssh -X foo
/path/to/gui/app/bar' from a standalone workstation or something
equivalent?

My client asked my about tablet PCs because he has a problem with
space and cable clutter.  I advised him I would look into a better way
of integrating the screen into the computer, and the best way I can
think of to do that, while not spending thousands on a powerful enough
and small enough PC, is with a diskless client and network booting.

Perhaps I've misguided myself, but the reason I'm looking into LTSP is
because, as I understand it, it provides a framework for
administrating chroot environments for diskless clients.  In other
words, I though it was plain old X11.

Plus, I tend to drink that whole benefits of SBC kool-aid, though I
have limited experience in the matter.

I'm no expert so perhaps there is a better solution.

> > It would be nice to find a small form factor solution with integrated
> > LCD shipping with Linux, and from a company in no danger of
> > disappearing tomorrow, but so far I have found no such animal.
>
> Netvoyager do at least one; http://www.netvoyager.co.uk/products/lx1040.html .
> We've used their LX1021s and have been very pleased with them, not tried
> any "integrated" models.  Most of these thin clients have an optional bracket
> to allow mounting on the back of a TFT anyway - might be worth comparing
> prices for both routes.

They do?!?  That does still leave the D-SUB / DVI cable, and another
power cable, but like you say, it makes sense to price it both ways,
and let him decide.

If he does still want to spend extra, do you think, based on what I
posted from the user guide, that those Samsungs would be ok?  They are
half the price of the netvoyagers.