On Monday 11 February 2008 03:47:14 Ryan Churches wrote:
> When you say 'plain old X11' do you mean running 'ssh -X foo
> /path/to/gui/app/bar' from a standalone workstation or something
> equivalent?

No, not really - I mean XDMCP.  With Linux based dedicated thin clients a
Linux server configured for XDMCP is all you need to provide a complete
desktop environment on multiple thin clients.

LTSP is great if you want to use ordinary PCs as X terminals, or even old
Windows based thin clients as X terminals.  If your thin client is already
running Linux though, in most cases LTSP is unnecessary.

> Perhaps I've misguided myself, but the reason I'm looking into LTSP is
> because, as I understand it, it provides a framework for
> administrating chroot environments for diskless clients.  In other
> words, I though it was plain old X11.

The first bit is correct, the second is not really (LTSP does use plain old
X11, but also provides all the machinery below that to make it work)  In any
case, most dedicated thin clients these days are not really
completely "diskless" because they use flash memory to hold their OS and any
local apps.  LTSP is indeed useful for truly diskless clients.

> If he does still want to spend extra, do you think, based on what I
> posted from the user guide, that those Samsungs would be ok?  They are
> half the price of the netvoyagers.
I wouldn't like to recommend anything I hadn't tried myself... also, I'm not a
salesman for Netvoyager, just a fairly happy customer, but the prices on the
website are RRP; if you plan to resell you should be able to get some
discount.  That would go for most manufacturers, too.

Cheers,

AJ