I am also experiencing a similar problem. I have a Direction 17" LCD monitor
that was running fine in Feisty. Since I installed Hardy, it only shows
800x600 resolution. Everything is the same about the client. I tried setting
X_MODE_0 = 1024x768
in lts.conf but it made no difference.

If I boot the terminal with a functioning monitor then swap the monitors,
then the Direction monitor shows the proper resolution.

I swapped it for an HP monitor and that one works ok.