On Tuesday 20 May 2008 03:05:32 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> A colleague and I were throwing about ideas, and the thought came up of
> using a vmware image as an LTSP server, so I thought I'd ask the list to
> see if anyone had done it.  We're facing the prospect of upgrading
> several servers from Ubuntu Edgy to Feisty to Gutsy to Hardy, or else
> swapping out the servers for fresh ones, all in the midst of another
> large and time-consuming project.  The thought of simply deploying a new
> virtual server at all our locations is rather tempting.

On my server I did *nothing* about ltsp. I upgraded to Hardy, as I recall I
needed slight fiddle with dhcp or tftp, and continued using my old ltsp5
setup. (upgrade kept the old keys, so I did not even rebuild squash image.

Seems to me that there is no reason to ever touch a working ltsp setup.

For me, vmware won't keep time on AMD64. Without guest-tools it loses oooh um
10 min per hour, with, it gains. All the help/howtos not withstanding.
VirtualBox keeps time, but keeps CPU load pegged high with tic-less kernels.
So fiddling to rebuild a 100Hz kernel ...

I find the network performance of vmware *keep getting the impression it's
slower* without seeing anything specific.

All the above not withstanding, the VMs are really very nice and useful. I
would balk at using them in production.

Any (other) feedback would be interesting.

James