On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:30:47AM -0700, Jordan Erickson wrote:
> Not to drag out the conversation, but organizing LTSP specific
> configuration files into /etc/ltsp != dumping them into a "root
> directory" (such as /etc).

The problem with this (unfortunately) is the nature of the chroot itself.

The target file would have to reside in the chroot, because if you actually
PUT the file in /etc/ltsp, and symlinked it to the chroot, when you built the
chroot image, the file wouldn't actually BE there, it would be outside the
chroot.

So, for a simple case, you might have the file physically sit in
/opt/ltsp/<arch>/etc, and symlink to the hosts' /etc/ltsp/lts.conf.

But here's the problem: what do you do for a machine that hosts images for,
say, both i386 and imacs?

Then you'd have to have /etc/ltsp/<arch>/lts.conf.

Also, some people may have all one arch, but ltsp allows you to have different
boot images for different workstations.

The problem quickly becomes one of how do the ltsp authors come up with a
scheme that will adapt to all possible use cases?  So, for the moment, we've
done the only sensible thing: we've not thought about it :)

If someone would like to step forward with a good scheme that will stand up to
all the different use cases, I'm sure we'd be happy to code it up.

Until then, if someone would like to try a "ln -s /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
/etc/ltsp/lts.conf", and see if that brings the desired result, it might be a
nice short-term stopgap.

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "There are many causes I am prepared to die for,
Systems Department |  but no causes I am prepared to kill for."