I'll just paste in what seems to be the common problem here amongst 4 of
my schools, when there is a full class of ~35 students logging on and
trying to launch Firefox (these are all different people sending me
e-mails):

-----
Just had a class in here and they went on Firefox, it took about 4
minutes to get them all on.  First 5 popped up right away then it
started to slow down.  Had 3 stations that after everyone was in I had
them click on the browser icon and they go right on.
---
Four or five students were able to start working in typingmaster (within
Firefox).  For the rest, it told them they were already in Firefox.
---
It took 15 minutes for 20 computers to logon to Firefox.  The first one
took 10 seconds, the next 20 seconds, the 6th one to try and come up had
the "Already Open" error.  After 20 minutes I went back into
Apps/firefox with the remaining workstations and all but two went in.
Workstations s8, s9 have the error message.
---

Tested Firefox today with a class of 20. About half could get on 1 at
a time, the other half froze up the desktop and kids couldn't even
logoff Ubuntu.

-----

After a ton of research for the past 3 days, I've come up with the
following potential fixes which have sped things up just a bit, but
definitely do not solve the core "Firefox is already running" (and most
of the slowness) issues:  http://lns.wikidot.com/firefox3ltspoptimizations

These are all beefy HP Proliant servers, 2xdualcore Xeon CPUs, 8GB RAM,
so horsepower shouldn't be an issue. Gutsy + FF2 worked beautifully,
this only started happening at the beginning of this school year, after
I had upgraded all servers to Hardy over Summer break.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one
having this issue (at least I really hope I'm not).

Sincerely,
Jordan