Hi all, I am from Cuba. My country is recently deploying thousands of
thin clients in institutions and government. A great idea but poorly
executed. The clients have a Celeron processor, 256Mb RAM and 15" flat
displays. The servers come pre-installed with Windows Server 2000 and
some network booted Windows XP software, all this in a small 1Gb RAM for
a proportion of 10 to 1 (10 clients per server).

I am an Ubuntu user since Hoary, so, I managed to install Ubuntu Server
8.04 and LTSP 5 on the servers.

My setup is simple, I use fat clients, first with NFS, which gave me
some problems eventually losing performance. So I switch to NBD. NBD has
better performance, plus I can now start services like samba with shared
printer (for printing in a Terminal Server using a legacy app to the
user's printer connected to his/her client). I also use NBD swap (which
is a must in this setup)

I still need some extras, like audio support, I have to download the
latest ALSA packages and compiled in the client, to do this, I will need
Read-Write access on the NBD image.

I had tried to change the config
on /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/fati386/pxelinux.cfg/<mac address> with rw
instead of ro. Also, changed the /usr/sbin/nbdrootd script removing the
-r option to allow read-write. Anyway, I don't know what else to do.

Could someone please help me.

My final goal is to write a admin interface to allow some things like,
setting individual NBD images to different users or setting up the
lts.conf file via web.

Greetings

Ernesto