Hi Ernesto,

Ltsp exports squashfs image over NBD so you can't mount it readonly.
What you have to do is ext3 NBD image and then tweak initrd scripts to
mount ext3 instead of squashfs. Unfortunally I don't know the details
for ubuntu, but from my experience, initrd scripts are not very easy
to tweak.
If you don't want to tweak initrd scripts, you can use NFS rw tree
just to configure the client, and when you are happy with it,
ltsp-update-image would create appropriate NBD root, which can be
mounted read only.
I have setup diskless workstations with KIWI from opensuse. KIWI is
used to create LTSP client root on opensuse. But it enables you to do
much more than LTSP. I started with the configuration for LTSP and
changed it so it suited my needs. I used unionfs, so I mounted root
image readonly over NFS + NFS mounted /home, but a simple change of a
line in KIWI config would create rw NBD root. I have 30 workstations
with the same hardware in a classroom and I had no problems with NFS
so far. If you need details on KIWI, send me an email.

Martin