Scott,

For problem #1 I would recommend using the gnome-watchdog package. This
package helped with that issue when I was experiencing it, which most
likely has to do with lingering processes on the server after user
logout. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/GnomeWatchdog .

For problem #2 - Yeah, it's kind of a pain having that icon there. The
best I've been able to do is remove all of the evolution packages, but
if there's no other default e-mail client for the icon to pick up (which
it is for, not just evolution), the default "springboard" icon will come
up. Ugly and non-functional, but at least they're not launching
Evolution. You can always hack the .desktop icon that is referred to to
something more useful for your setup (like Open Office). AFAIK there's
no clean way to just remove that default panel icon. Kind of a bummer, I
wish the Gnome people would think about multi-user setups a bit more and
polish up GConf & friends.

Kind of a hack-ish document, but look at
http://lns.wikidot.com/gnomecleanupmenus - that's something I whipped up
to help general cleanup of Gnome menus/panels. It will also show you how
to disable things like the fast-user-switch applet (which wasn't desired
in our school environment).

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns