From: Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Ltsp-discuss] LTSP Gnome login and icon issues
To: ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 12:32 PM

Hello,

I am building an LTSP server with Ubuntu 8.04 with the Edubuntu add on. Things
are going well except for a couple issues that i can't figure out.

1. When I log in to gnome as a local user on the actual server, not from a
client, it will show the background and sit for about 2 minutes then the panel
will load then about 20 seconds later the icons and menus will show up. The
only relevant logs that I have found are ~/.xsession-errors. Listed below:

Starting gtk-window-decorator

/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12
image format

** (nautilus:17165): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported

I/O warning : failed to load external entity
"/home/linux/.compiz/session/default0"

PID TTY TIME CMD

17143 ? 00:00:00 pulseaudio

** (gnome-panel:17164): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1310: failed to get
Bonobo/Control interface on applet OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet:

Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

I have googled all of this and tried dozens of "fixes" none have
worked.

2. I need to remove the Evolution-email icon from the default Gnome panel. This
is a school district and I need to remove anything from plain sight that the
kids might want to fiddle with. By default, when someone logs in they get the:

Applications Places System (firefox) (email) (help)

I simply want to remove the (email) icon from the panel for all NEW users. I
have gone through all the configs i can find and modified everything i could
think of and it still shows up, even after rm -rfing the home directories of my
test accounts.

Any advice??? This is also my first post so feel free to tell me what I did
wrong

--scott