Hi,

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009, Lars Andersson wrote:

> I have a show stopper problem with my LTSP installation. I run Ubuntu
> 8.10 with Edubuntu Add on. Sometimes my clients doesn't seem to get an ip
> address from the server. Usually I can boot about 4 to 5 clients with no
> problems at all but when I turn on some more clients they hang when they
> try to get their addresses.

You're not the first to describe this sort of issue, but I've yet to hear
anyone with any good idea why it's happening and I haven't seen it myself.

>From the previous descriptions, it sounded like the server was somehow to
busy and wasn't responding quick enough to dhcp requests -- which is pretty
strange as dhcp is not exactly a heavy duty task.

> Checking the logs and network traffic (wireshark) says DHCP DISCOVER
> broadcast from the clients and DHCP OFFER from the server but no REQUEST
> and ACK.

Your description of the packet trace is interesting.  I hope our friends at
Microsoft won't mind me quoting one of their images.

http://i.technet.microsoft.com/cc780760.0e354224-5f96-42e5-9044-000a53d629c3(en-us).gif

If the above is correct, you're not waiting on the server at all, the two
have had a handshake and now the server's waiting on a request from the
client but it isn't getting it.  I guess this either means

1. The client isn't seeing the dhcp offer and is waiting on it
2. It gets it but for some reason doesn't respond with a dhcp request
3. It sends the dhcp request but the server doesn't see it

But I can't see why any of those would be caused by just 4-5 clients being
online.  Could it be that something's wrong and they're swamping the
network?  Is the load high on the server?  Do you have something you could
watch the network load with?  The dhcp request should be a broadcast, can
you see it on another machine on the network?

I'm sort of reaching here, sorry.

Gavin