Thanks, I am aware of that. I figured out how to use those scripts in
/usr/share/ltsp/screen-session.d/, now that I knew what I was looking
for. Now I got the login screen in the proper resolution. But yet
there's another problem. No matter which session I choose:

The display manager (gnome, kde, xfce etc) still is in a "640x480
mode". That is e.g. the menu bar is somewhere in the middle of the
screen, though the screen itself shows the proper resolution. The menu
bar can be placed at the correct position. But any new open window
starts with max 640x480.

We use LTSP with Jaunty and have Debian Etch Workstations. Is the
argument passed to the Server you want to log in anyhow? But I don't
think so. Any hint where to look? I think I'll adopt the new way,
that's where future releases will go. Don't want to stick to the old
method.

By the way:
I had to disable XRANDR in lts.conf. That was the reason. Maybe that
should be set to default. The new lts.conf

[client]
        CONFIGURE_X="True"
        XRANDR_DISABLE="True"
        X_MODE_0="1280x1024"

Hope there's a workaround for that. Or at least a bug that can be found.
Peter