Actually, Xrandr 1.2 is supported by the free xorg-radeon-driver. But
why doesn't it work? I could not find anything in the logs. If I try
it without Xrandr I get this strange error that the Display Manager
still thinks it is in 640x480 and the display is at 1280x1024 and the
user did not set a change of e screen resolution.

CONFIGURE_X="True"
XRANDR_DISABLE="True"
X_MODE_0="1280x1024"

XRANDR_MODE_0 = "1280x1024"  or
XRANDR_SIZE_0 = "1280x1024"

CONFIGURE_X="True"
XRANDR_DISABLE="True"
CONFIGURE_X_COMMAND="/usr/share/ltsp/configure-x.sh"
X_MODE_0="1280x1024"
dmesg output:
[  277.872959] Xorg[6538]: segfault at 772f7481 ip 080b15f2 sp
bf8949a0 error 4 in Xorg[8048000+19d000]
[  277.875673] [drm] Num pipes: 1
[  291.861854] [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
[  291.863222] [drm] Loading RS690/RS740 Microcode
[  291.863249] [drm] Num pipes: 1
[  291.863258] [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

CONFIGURE_X="True"

So I'm getting slowly but steadily annoyed by this problem. Maybe I'll
try to use Xrandr manually. Any suggestions where to look further?
Thanks.
Peter