I had a chance to read a little more about the Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization for Desktops this past weekend.

First off, it's still in beta.  I think I'll wait until they actually have more
of the kinks out before I even consider trying it.

It does indeed seem that it will probably require more powerful servers than
LTSP, and possibly slightly more powerful thin clients.

Scott had some very valid points about having to learn even more...  Red Hat
seems to be trying to get around this, and many of the same things that have
been burdening LTSP developers for years -- like various forms local devices,
with newer and more complicated ones coming out far too often for anyone to
keep up with.

It seems to me that Red Hat is trying to take care of this by having each user
have their own desktop.  It can be running on the server, or on the client
(after having booted via pxe, etc.).  They have an interesting way of
provisioning the virtual desktops.  Their desktop images have layers.  They
have a base image, and then each user has their own layer with their personal
settings.  The admin only needs to update the base image(s).  It should be able
to handle any of the local devices as if it were a regular linux (or windows)
install, because (as they say) the only real difference is that the image is on
the server (where it can easily be backed up or administered) and not on the
client.

They have SPICE, which automatically determines where the graphics should be
rendered - on the server, or at the client.  They're counting on this making
multimedia work as it should.  (And this remains a problem with *all* current
remote desktop systems.)

And they say they'll have an admin tool that will make it easy to manage
*thousands* of virtual desktops.

Red Hat -- being Red Hat -- of course, is taking an exceedingly complex way of
going about all of this.  Or at least, that's how it seems to me.  But it'll be
interesting to see if they will come up with a better mouse trap.  I guess time
will tell.

When they get it out of beta, God-willing, I'll give it a whirl, and let you
all know how it compares to LTSP.

Thanks for all of your interest, and your posts.

nico