Verner Kjærsgaard schrieb:

> Alkis Georgopoulos skrev:
>> Στις 12-01-2010, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 12:30 -0700, ο/η David Burgess
>> έγραψε:

>>> Flow control is a problem when you have mixed media speeds sharing a
>>> server. and without a gbit switch port for the server, flow control is
>>> not likely to be an issue, and each subnet will cruise along at up to
>>> (!)100 mbps.
>> I think the poster said that he has a mixed mode network:
>>
>> "- I've got 4 24-port switches that connects to all the clients. 100Mbit
>> ports to the clients, 1000Mbit to the server."
>>

> Hi again,
> - a few more facts.
>
> Well, I've not got 100 clients but someting like 70 or so. They don't
> run at the same time, perhaps 20 - 20 are active at the same time. The
> swithes in use are 24 port swithes, hence the need for distributing
> properly.
>
> I think the solution is to opt for the only real correct one...get new
> switches that are NOT 1000/100 switches, but rather 1000/1000 switches...
>
> This way the switches may be uplinked together properly. I'm quite
> convinced that the servers 1000Mbit netcard (just one) will handle the
> traffic just fine.

Those switches really have 24 100Mbit ports and only one 1000Mbit port?
Sick.
But then an additional 5 port (cheap!) 1000Mbit switch would solve the
problem, too.

> This whole exercise was meant to (possibly) avoid buying new switches
> and solve the issue by software/configuration/bonding/bridging/whateever :-)

As Alkis pointed out, this would work, too.

> Still, this thread was very helpful!
>
> - a perfect solution would be a powerfull managed switch which accepts
> bonding. Then use TWO 1000Mbit cables from the servers two 1000Mbit
> ports to this ONE master switch (that supports bonding). This way, one
> would make absolutely sure that this first superswitch would get ample
> suplly from the bit-bucket :-)
>
> Right?

Yes. There even have been reports on this list that a normal unmanaged
switch will work well when used with linux bonding (doubles the server
send bandwidth, while receive stays the same as the switch sends only to
one port at a time).

Jakob