On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:15:33AM +0100, Chris Roberts wrote:
> On Thursday 29 Apr 2010, Wim De Geeter wrote:
> > No we use nfs,
> >
> > But it is still really not clear to me when to use ltsp-update-image
> > So I  thought that every time you add some packages in the chroot you
> > need to update your ltsp-update-image
>
> No, with Debian and NFS you never use this command, delete it from your mind.
>
> Indeed I think you probably need to remove the image it has created, which I
> think is something like /opt/ltsp/images or something like that.

no *need* to remove it, other that the relatively small amount of wasted disk
space and confusion of having it around.

> There must be a lot of Debian LTSP users diligently running this command,
> could it not be modified to check for whether nfs/nbd is in use and politely
> educate the user?

i don't really see any clean way to do this, as with debian (and presumably
ubuntu) you can run NFS and NBD LTSP environments on the same server. there are
also options to use NBD without using ltsp-update-image, and running
ltsp-update-image will clobber it, and recent versions will rewrite a bunch of
configuration files for good measure.

there's no simple way to detect which of these scenarios is in use. i suppose i
could add a configuration file that causes ltsp-update-image to exit, and
explains how to change the behavior...

in short, if you don't want to switch to NBD, don't use ltsp-update-image. just
don't. ugh.

live well,
  vagrant