> On Sat, 2011-01-08 23:03:28, < Gideon Romm <ltsp ()
> symbio-technologies ! com> wrote:
> > Rather than having users log into the console, they can simply log
> > into LDM and run:
> > ltsp-localapps <your-program-here>
> > It will still save the files to the home directory and they will not
> > need to switch to the console.
> > -Gadi
>
> For some reason, when I try ltsp-localapps it doesn't work for me. I
> checked the document suggested by  Xavier Brochard,
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTSPLocalAppSetup and the things mentioned there
> are ok on my setup.
> I'll keep working at it, ltsp-localapps would be easier to use.
> Thanks,
> Bob

Retrying localapps I get something that I don't understand;

As mentioned by Gadi it ought to function, from a terminal opened on an ltsp
workstation, like this;
ltsp-localapps <your-program-here>
when I do that there is no response;
b...@server:~$ ltsp-localapps row_metrics.py -i 17a4:0001 -p 9 -w 172 -f 0.2
b...@server:~$
(row_metrics did not run)

When I tried another application in this way, xterm,  that however did work;
b...@server:~$ ltsp-localapps xterm
This opened another terminal.
b...@ltsp1:~$

When I then try to run my program directly in the new terminal, ltsp1,  it
works.
b...@ltsp1:~$ row_metrics.py -i 17a4:0001 -p 9 -w 172 -f 0.2
Found device 17a4:0001 appears to be a Concept2 Performance Monitor 3 (PM3).
Workout 9 loaded.
Row when ready
(row_metrics runs from the ltsp1 terminal)

So far the only application I can get to run with localapps is xterm.
For example I get no response with uname.
b...@server:~$ uname -r
2.6.30-2-amd64
(thats the server's kernel)

b...@server:~$ ltsp-localapps uname -r
b...@c2d:~$
(ltsp-localapps did not work for uname)

b...@server:~$ ltsp-localapps xterm
This opens another terminal
b...@ltsp1:~$
b...@ltsp1:~$ uname -r
2.6.32-5-486
(thats the chroot kernel, so uname runs from the ltsp1 terminal).

Why is xterm, but not other applications, able to be run by localapps?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Bob