Hi Antoine,

thanks for that input, it is just what I thought would be the reason.

Am 16.05.2012 18:43, schrieb Antoine RODRIGUEZ:
> The trouble that is specified all is more a kernel trouble. Not an LTSP
> or Xorg trouble.
>
> The kernels in debians might not be compiled for the platforms that you
> are mentioning : Via Epia (C3 processor) and Pentium III witch both does
> not support various default settings of the kernel.

Well, this is Suse here, but the problem seems to be the same. At least
good to know why... :-)

> You have to create a custom kernel that fit exactly your hardwares.

If I only knew how... I've discussed this topic with several folks in
forums, but they didn't (want to?) understand the difference between
compiling a kernel and making a configuration for LTSP. Sure, it's
simple to switch certain things on and off, but making a new, compact
kernel is something different.

> The actual kernel of debian is set to work with everything witch consume
> a lot of memory .... witch explain the bugs for systems with less than
> 256MB

Yep! I could see that it searches for a second network port for example,
and lots of things which are simply superfluous.

> The Via Epia C3 trouble is just that the system is build with PAE witch
> is incompatible with this system (and also some instructions are missing)

Ok... so a plain 32bit kernel would do, right? After all, it's running
smoothly with LTSP 4.2 kernels...

> So the answer to the troubles is to compile a new kernel with the
> adecuate configurations. I'll try to find some specific howtos if needed.

Oh, that would be great! Thanks in advance for your help! Maybe you can
point me to some instruction that goes through the necessary steps.

Rolf