On 8/25/2012 6:04 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
Στις 25/08/2012 09:27 μμ, ο/η John Hupp έγραψε:
On the Edubuntu network, all clients have to invoke Shutdown from the
desktop and from the login screen.  After choosing Shutdown from the
desktop (and then presenting a dialog for Shutdown or Restart), it drops
back to the login screen, and there one chooses Preferences: Shutdown.
[Very tedious, but that's not my real interest in this post.  And as a
footnote, the server shuts down cleanly after the two clicks on the desktop.
I reported that problem in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/491940, you
can comment there if you want.
For that launchpad bug report, I have added my confirmation that the behavior still persists in Ubuntu 12.04.

One other behavior that was of interest to me but that I did not
thoroughly document was that even on machines where Shutdown hangs, it
seems generally to be the case that Restart does not hang.  The machine
proceeds smoothly to POST and reboot.
The "machine does not power off" problem is related to acpi/kernel. You
can verify that it isn't related to ltsp by booting the client with a CD
or usb stick. You can report that upstream to the kernel, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Upstream/kernel for instructions.
I was able to verify the behavior on an affected client booted with a Live CD, though that is at the edge of feasibility due to low specs. The pointer did not work, so I was not able to use the Quit button, but Alt-F2: "sudo halt" and Alt-F2: "sudo shutdown -h now" both resulted in the machine shutdown hanging at a text screen the last line of which was "System halted."

Much of the First Step procedure for reporting the problem upstream to the kernel (at the link above) did not seem to apply to a non-developer like me, but I did email a report to the ACPI maintainer, Len Brown.

Or failing that, can I insert a splash screen at the end of the shutdown
process something like Windows 95/98 used on machines where it could not
execute a complete shutdown automatically?  (The screen said something
like "It is now safe to turn off your computer.")
It's not very easy, and it isn't LTSP-specific, it's distro specific. If
you decide that you want to do that, you'll need some Ubuntu-specific
mailing list or other means of communication (generally bug reports in
launchpad are a good method).
Since "it's not very easy," I'll waita bitto see if results come from the report to Len Brown, and also to see if Phill Whiteside from the Lubuntu list gets any results. He took an interest in the issue and tried to draw in some further help.

But I would like to find a solution, so I expect that I'll try to revisit the issue with this indirect approach if help doesn't seem forthcoming from those in position to address it directly.